Saudi authorities force shutdown of LBC KSA base

Saudi MoC shutters 'unlicensed' LBC office amid Red Line controversy.
News, Broadcast Business

Share

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Culture closed the office of the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation (LBC) on Saturday.

According to a report by Arab News, officials shut the station's office for operating without a licence.

A ministry source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the paper: “A committee in which the ministry is a member ordered the shuttering [sic] on Saturday of the LBC channel’s office in Jeddah’s Al-Rawdah district for want of license.

“The office had been working without [a] license for the past three years.”

The station, majority owned by Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, is currently embroiled in a row over contents of its Red Line programme on which a Saudi man boasted of his sexual conquests.

Mazen Abdul Jawad told viewers he first had sex at 14 with a neighbour, used sex aids and liked to use his mobile phone’s Bluetooth function to try to pick up women.

He has since apologised to viewers for his behaviour and accused LBC of sensationalising the interview.

Most Popular

Editor's Choice

StarzPlay’s tech powers India’s Lionsgate Play
Provides managed services, developed by StarzPlay, to mark successful launch of Lionsgate Play ...
Subscribe to Digital Studio Middle East
The latest editor of Digital Studio Middle East, the foremost and most respected platform for ...
Dubai's Faisal Hashmi working on feature film
10 short films in 10 years has earned Faisal Hashmi international plaudits at film festival, ...

Don't Miss a Story