Assault charges for Spiderman director?

Actor who tweeted charge suggestion says it was 'just a joke'.
Spiderman: turn off the Dark, resumed on Broadway on Thursday.
Spiderman: turn off the Dark, resumed on Broadway on Thursday.

Share

Broadway actor Adam Pascal, who tweeted that the director of the accident-plagued musical "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" should be charged with assault, said Wednesday that he was just joking about that but that the show shouldn't continue until safety issues are addressed, reported The Associated Press.

The Tony Award-nominated Pascal can relate to the dangers actors face on stage. He was performing in "Aida" in Chicago in 1999 when he and co-star Heather Headley fell 15 feet after a lift gave out, and he suffered torn ligaments and bruises.

Four accidents have plagued "Spider-Man" since it began previews last month. Last Monday, a stuntman plunged about 30 feet into a stage pit; he suffered broken ribs and internal injuries. After back surgery and a stint in an ICU, he is said to be walking again.

Pascal tweeted that "Spider-Man" creator Julie Taymor "should be charged with assault" after that accident. In an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday, though, he backed off that comment.

"I want to clarify that I'm not calling for the arrest of anybody," Pascal said. "But I don't know how many people have to be hurt before it gets shut down."

Pascal said after his fall in "Aida," the gag that injured him was cut and he "never felt unsafe again because it wasn't happening anymore." He said he feels his rant against the safety record of "Spider-Man" echoed the views of the public and some members of the Broadway community.

"I think people are annoyed that Julie would put the show into previews and perform for audiences and have people pay full ticket price for a show that's nowhere near finished," he said. "I don't want to sit there and see the show stopped five times, and I don't want to see people taken away in ambulances."

The $65 million musical was conceived by the Tony Award-winning Taymor andU2's Bono and The Edge, who wrote the music. The show has been in the making for more than eight years, but delays and money woes have plagued its launch.

Pascal said he feels the problems with safety are due in part to Taymor rushing her lavish vision to the stage combined with a team of producers who are mainly concert promoters and aren't familiar with Broadway shows.
Taymor said the well-being of people involved in "Spider-Man" was important.

"Nothing is more important than the safety of our Spider-Man family, and we'll continue to do everything in our power to protect the cast and crew," she said in a statement.

After an inspection on Wednesday, producers cancelled the second straight performance. The show resumed incident-free on Thursday night after addressing the necessary safety concerns.

Most Popular

Editor's Choice

Sennheiser hires Shraddha Mukul in regional marketing manager role
New position created to build on the "company's ongoing success" ...
StarzPlay begins streaming of Attack on Titan season 3 finale across Middle East
Third season is produced by IG Port's Wit Studio and directed by Tetsurō Araki and ...
Amazon offering free content from Apex Legends and EA Sports ...

Don't Miss a Story