Ahead of tonight's 2014 MTV EMA, an MTV insider has revealed a tantalising treat of backstage facts – revealing what goes on behind the scenes to create and produce one of the biggest global music events of the year.
• The 2014 MTV EMA will air across MTV’s global network of more than 60 channels reaching nearly 700 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV’s more than 200 digital media properties around the world.
• The 2014 MTV EMA will broadcast on Sunday, November 9th at 9:00PM CET* from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
• This is the first time in its 20-year history that the MTV EMA has been held in Glasgow.
• The awards will be held at Scotland’s latest landmark arena – the SSE Hydro – which only recently opened its doors in 2013, since becoming one of the most modern and exciting arenas in the world.
• MTV cast over 2,000 local fans – via public castings and mobile castings in local schools and universities – to be part of the MTV EMA live audience, with 700 fans invited to scream their hearts out of the MTV EMA red carpet.
• The 2014 MTV EMA set has been designed by celebrated German stage and set designer Florian Wieder, who was also responsible for MTV EMA set designs in Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Liverpool and Amsterdam.
• Although stage designs remain a closely guarded secret, MTV can reveal the show has a “time travel” inspired theme; which will be echoed on the red carpet, in the set design and via the main show performances.
• The 2014 MTV EMA will feature one of the biggest sets ever in MTV EMA history, measuring 50m wide by 20m high, backed with a giant high resolution LED screen and over 30m of transparent gauze.
• To power the show, nearly 10,000 kilometres of cable have been laid down.
• 1,200 flight case boxes have been used to transport equipment such as lights, cameras and tripods.
• 30 HD cameras are used to shoot the show and 40 TV screens have been installed backstage.
• To ensure a truly explosive 20th anniversary celebration, the MTV EMA will be ignited by 600 pyrotechnics during the main show including spitfire flames, air flame explosions and smoke storm machines.
• To retain its crown as one of MTV’s biggest social experiences of the year, MTV has flown in its team of 20 digital media experts who will be working 24/7 to deliver content for MTV’s social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Imoji and Vine.
• The 2014 MTV EMA app is available on iOS and Android in 10 languages, while the 2014 MTV EMA website is available in 19 languages across 34 regions.
• Fans at home can check out exclusive behind-the-scenes shots and clips via the MTV EMA website, including shots taken from a 360-degree essence booth – just as the stars are about to walk the red carpet.