Avid has announced Pro Tools 12, the next generation of the digital audio software. The company also announced new innovations to support artist collaboration and content distribution with Avid Cloud Collaboration and new services in the Avid Marketplace.
“These new innovations demonstrate our commitment to providing audio customers with the choice, power, and flexibility they need to create the highest quality music and audio,” said Chris Gahagan, senior vice president of Products and Technology at Avid. “With Pro Tools 12, audio professionals can now access the software in more ways than ever. They can find new talent and plugins, and get wide exposure for their work via the Avid Marketplace. And with the upcoming Avid Cloud Collaboration, customers will be able to create, connect, and collaborate in unprecedented new ways.”
The company has also unveiled Pro Tools | First, a free version of the industry-standard Pro Tools that offers many of the same music creation capabilities used by top artists and recording studios worldwide. Pro Tools | First is simple enough for beginners to learn, yet sophisticated enough for the experienced musician. It enables anyone to experience the industry’s most trusted digital audio workstation at no cost, so they can turn their musical ideas into fully realised, professional productions that stand out from the crowd.
Pro Tools 12 - An overview
Flexible Licensing Options
Pro Tools 12 delivers new flexible licensing options, allowing customers to subscribe by as little as $29.99 per month, or to buy it outright. With these new options, users can stay current with future software updates and innovations as soon as they are released via the cloud, at no additional charge. This flexible licensing now provides artists with access to the same tools used by the top industry pros, at a price point they can afford.
Avid Cloud Collaboration
Initially to be accessed by Pro Tools users with others to follow, Avid Cloud Collaboration is a groundbreaking set of collaboration capabilities that enable artists to compose, record, edit, and mix sessions working with other Pro Tools users in the cloud, as if they are all together in the same studio. They simply invite other artists to collaborate on a session using built-in chat, or find new collaborators through the new Avid Marketplace Artist Community. If the person they want to work with doesn’t already have Pro Tools, they can simply download Pro Tools | First to start working together immediately.
Key benefits and features of Avid Cloud Collaboration for Pro Tools include:
• Secure and hassle-free setup: Post sessions to your own cloud storage space and invite others to collaborate
• Fully integrated collaboration: Work on the same session at the same time or create offline and share updates directly within Pro Tools
• Comprehensive workflows: Share audio and MIDI tracks, edits, mix changes, automation, and more
• Simplified project and media management: Keep track of all contributors and version changes with automatic and fully customisable metadata tagging
• Built-in communication tools: Engage with collaborators through text or video chat directly from within Pro Tools
The Avid Marketplace enables artists and professionals to:
• Find new talent and start new collaborations: With the Artist Community, any media professional and organisation can search for the skills and specialties they need on a project, and start a working relationship.
• Get plug-ins and apps immediately: With the Avid App Store, artists can find and immediately download the latest plug-ins and applications directly from within their creative tools
• Store and share their work with the world: The Avid Content Marketplace provides a new channel for artists to monetise their work by sharing it with a wide network of potential purchasers – with all licensing and rights agreements worked out through automatic templates.
Avid also announced that 17 new plug-ins and nine new plug-in bundles are now available in the Avid Marketplace and as in-app purchases in Pro Tools. There are now over 60 Avid plug-ins and bundles available for in-app purchase for Pro Tools | First, Pro Tools, and Pro Tools | HD.
The new bundles include:
• Eleven Effects Bundle — A collection of 17 Avid AAX Native, DSP and AudioSuite 64-bit plug-in effects modeled after circuitry and design of many popular analog “stomp-box” guitar effects.
• Pro Series Bundle — Includes all five of the popular Avid Pro Series processors in AAX Native, DSP and AudioSuite 64-bit format as a single bundle at over 50% savings.
• First Distortion Bundle, First Reverb Delay Bundle, First Guitar Bass Bundle, First Modulation Bundle, First EQ Dynamics Bundle, First AIR Effects Bundle, and First Air Instruments Bundle — Include selections from the new Eleven Effects and other Avid plug-ins, allowing Pro Tools | First users to access the professional creative tools they need to create richer sounding, more complex mixes.
Availability and Pricing
Pro Tools software subscription and licensing options will be available in February 2015.
• Pro Tools software monthly subscription (one-month license subscription with updates and support) starts at $29.99/month
• Pro Tools software annual upgrade plan (12 months of updates and support) starts at $199
• Pro Tools software annual subscription (12-month license subscription with updates and support) starts at $299
• Perpetual licenses for Pro Tools software (includes 12 months of updates and support) start at $899
The new plug-ins and bundles are now available as in-app purchases within Pro Tools via the Avid Marketplace.